CONTRIBUTING TOWARD BUILDING A MORE SUSTAINABLE FUTURE FOR ALL
The United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (or SDGs) are a shared blueprint for the 5 Ps – People, Planet, Prosperity, Peace, Partnership.
Our operations contribute to climate change and have the potential to slow progress against the SDGs. We are committed to mitigating those risks while maximizing the ways in which we can support the goals.
Goals Where MLC is Primarily Focused on Contributing:
- We support the health and wellbeing of our employees by maintaining rigorous standards aligned with MSHA and industry best practices, as well as driving a proactive safety culture.
- We provide solutions used in applications that benefit the health and wellbeing of people, including pollution control, water treatment, wastewater treatment, agriculture, and food preservation.
- We maintain food safety certifications for all of our food-grade products, which reduces the risk of foodborne pathogens.
- We treat on-site water before releasing it into the environment.
- We provide solutions that enable municipalities to safely and effectively treat water, to ensure people have access to clean, sanitary water.
- We conducted a pay gap study with positive findings and took action to close any gaps found.
- We are focused on creating a safe and healthy working environment for employees, with a strong safety program with continuous improvement.
- We are supportive of unions and are committed to upholding labor standards.
- We employ over 1000 people on two continents, with a vision to continue growing worldwide.
- We provide solutions that are used in the cement and construction industry, including roads, infrastructure, and public buildings.
- We are focused on R&D and innovative solutions to expand of the use of existing offerings, in applications such as low-carbon cement for greener cities.
- We are currently assessing our CO2 emissions to serve as a baseline for firm commitments.
- We are committed to managing the use of a finite natural resource – the essential mineral lime. This includes finding ways to repurpose what is currently waste.
- We are developing a comprehensive sustainability strategy based on a 2022 materiality study, which includes a reporting plan
- We offer solutions for pollution control, such as the removal of acid gases from flue gas emissions for public utilities.
- We are exploring options that will allow more flexible use of fuels for kilns, including lower emission options.
- We have implemented improvements in logistics that have reduced truck mileage and will continue to implement more efficient delivery options.
- We utilize anaerobic digestion at our Singleton Birch (UK) site, a source of green, bio-based energy. We are exploring expanding the use of this technology to the US.
- Since 2016, we have been working with the World Bird Sanctuary to complete annual nest box studies and promote thriving songbirds and other wildlife on site.
- We lease our land to farmers that practice regenerative agriculture on site.
- Restoration of quarried land has resulted in improvements to the landscape.